Clan Travel Journals of 1849

As much of this website contains records of the written variety, these notes aptly commemorate three journals which were compiled in 1849. Bryan Fergus, Donogh and Terence OLoghlin maintained their individual journals through their departure from the port of Limerick to their arrival at Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA in October 1849.

071

Bryan Fergus O’Loghlin’s Farmhouse (c. 1900) – St. Peter, Wisconsin The original structure is under snow covered roof. Peak of Terence’s home is barely visible at right. The brick structure at left was built in early 1880’s. By 1930’s dinner bell was on one of the porch supports

 
During the first days of September 1849, the three brothers began their many goodbyes to their relations at Glandine (Kilfarboy), Smithstown (Kilshanny), and Cullaun (Rathborney) before heading to Limerick, by way of the north Clare medieval town of Kilfenora. The journals compiled while crossing the Atlantic retell their encounter with a serious storm, before arriving in New York. They also record their conversations with those they meet during their lengthy journey from New York to Wisconsin which became a state, the previous year. This year commemorates the 170th anniversary of that trip which took them across The Great Lakes.

Immigration Map 1.1

 

Their twenty three stops along that journey were commemorated at the Milwaukee Clan reunion of August 2014 which was coordinated by the extended Bares family of Wisconsin.

Acknowledgements:
Bryan Fergus, Donogh and Terence OLoghlin (1849 journals)
J Gilbert Hardgrove, former custodian of those three journals c  (1935)

Advertisements
Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment

From Petra to Petra Fertilis

This is the first of series of articles by Professor Katharine Lochnan, University of Toronto.

The Judean desert south of Jerusalem

What is a desert? We think of it as a sandy, arid, inhospitable, place where camels are the mode of transportation, and oases essential for human life.

In July 2018 I visited two deserts featured in the Bible. 

The first is the Judean desert south of Jerusalem, which abuts the west side of the Dead Sea in Israel, the saltiest and lowest place on planet earth. The packed yellow sand is dry and hard, the light blinding, and the only shade and protection from the heat is provided by caves in the hills.

The second desert, the Rum desert, is completely different in character. It is located at the western edge of the Arabian desert, between the Dead Sea and the Red Sea. It is believed that Moses and the Israelites followed the ancient route through this desert in their search for the Promised Land.

Sands of the Rum

It consists of soft pink sand which is blown about by the wind forming corrugated ripples and shifting mounds that are punctuated by rocky outcroppings from which you can see long vistas through endless, empty spaces, and view gorgeous sunsets.

If the Judean desert is penitential and pains the eyes, the Rum desert is sensuous and warms the heart. What they have in common is their remoteness, their dryness, and their silence.  Both have acted as magnets to holy men since the dawn of time and have played major roles in Jewish and Christian spirituality.

Approaching Petra


Hidden away in the desert is one of the most beautiful cities ever built. Petra (meaning “rock”), nicknamed “the rose red city one of the Nabateans,” was carved out of pink sandstone cliffs over several millennia. It was once an important crossroads, where Near Eastern and Hellenistic traditions blended.

For centuries Petra was considered “lost” and its location was known only to the nomadic Bedouin for whom the desert remains home. It is approached through a long, winding pink canyon which opens out to become the forecourt of the great Treasury, a temple-like classical building whose façade is carved into the face of the rock. While it cannot be proven, it is thought that Jesus may have come here, and that Paul would have put it on his itinerary.

Caves at Qumran



It was in the Judean desert that the Jewish Essenes created an ascetic community at Qumran to escape the politics and corruption of the Temple and the city of Jerusalem. There they wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls and stored them in covered jars in caves overlooking the Dead Sea.

John the Baptist may have spent time with the Essenes before he began baptizing in the River Jordan; Christ went into the Judean desert following his baptism and fasted and prayed for forty days and forty nights while wrestling with temptation.

The first Christian monks were known as anchorites. St. Antony the Great went out into the Egyptian desert c. 270 C.E. to escape the “fleshpots” of pagan Alexandria. Although he craved solitude, he was sought out by others who wanted to learn how to become anchorites. In 360 C.E. St. Athanasius of Alexandria wrote Antony’s biography. Later translated into Latin in 374 C.E., it became one of the best-known works in the Christian world and inspired many men and women to lead hermetic existences. At one time it was said that tens of thousands of anchorites were living in the Egyptian desert! Some formed eremitic communities, living alone and coming together on Sunday to celebrate the Eucharist. This led to the formation of the first cenobitic communities in which the monks lived communally.

Transmission towards Ireland 


By the 5th century, Christianity had arrived in Ireland along with these early forms of Egyptian monasticism. The story of St. Antony was well known, and his attribute, the tau cross, can be found outside the church at Kilnaboy on the Burren. As Ireland did not have sandy deserts, the early anchorites looked for uninhabited places: their deserts consisted of remote, rocky, inhospitable areas that were seen to be cognate to the deserts of Palestine and Egypt. 

Thomas O’Loughlin, Professor of Historical Theology at the University of Nottingham, points out that the concept of historical accuracy, as we think of it, was not applied to the writing of ancient biographies. The little we know about the dates and lives of early saints comes from later hagiographies designed to demonstrate the regard with which they were held by later generations.

Some of the earliest accounts of saints and monastic settlements in Ireland can be found on the Aran islands. These geological extensions of the Burren were originally part of Úi Lochlainn territory. Their location on the edge of the known world, and the fact that there are three of them, must have had great symbolic significance for the early monks. Not only was there nothing between them and eternity, they could be seen to represent the doctrine of the Trinity which emerged at the end of the 4th century and was to become central to Celtic Christianity.

On the largest island, Inis Mór, St. Enda of Aran established the first Irish monastery at Killeaney around 500 C.E. Legend holds that he was a former warrior-king from Ulster, who was converted to Christianity by his sister, Saint Fanchea, an abbess. He went to Scotland, which was by then a great centre of monasticism, to study for the priesthood. After his brother-in-law, Aengus, King of Munster, gave him land in the Aran Islands, Enda went to live there as a hermit and formed an eremitic community.

Katharine Lochnan at Petra

The monks imitated the asceticism and simplicity of the desert hermits living alone in dry-stone huts known as ‘clochán’, sleeping on the ground, and eating together in silence. They embraced a hard life of manual labour, prayer, fasting and studied the scriptures. They survived by farming and fishing.

Part 2 of this essay will be posted next month.

Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment

Connecticut Family:

Our Christmas image provides a window towards the extended family of Joan and Jim OLoughlin who reside at Manchester, Connecticut, USA.

Both Joan and Jim’s ancestors hail from the Atlantic seaboard.
Joan’s people are connected with the island of Inishbofin, off the Galway coast, while Jim’s ancestor departed the townland of Gragans, close to Corkscrew hill for Connecticut c 1880.

Joan and Jim OLoughlin have attended a number of Clan reunions since 1995. They have also visited County Clare many times since 1990; as they became aware of both their Clare and Irish heritage, through a chance meeting with a Cork city lecturer who advised Jim of both his Burren and Clare ancestry.

Jim presented his unique family story to the those assembled at Ballyvaughan during the Clan reunion of September 2005.

Brendan in Canberra wishes each Clan member a happy and productive 2019, while thanking those who contributed to our website through 2018.

Acknowledgements:
Joan and Jim OLoughlin, Manchester, Connecticut, USA

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Images Tell Stories

The Clan notes for this month link us to the Centenary Commemoration of Mary Anne OBrien OLoghlen (+ 1918 – see post for January 2018). The sports-image below was taken at the Blue Meadow sports field, Kilfenora, North Clare c 1925.

This photograph contains two sets of three brothers, one set displays the Quinn surname. The second set of three brothers, were grandsons (Peter, Martin, Micho) of Mary Anne OBrien OLoghlen (+ 1918). The young teenager holding the football at the front was Mary Anne’s great grand child, Eamonn (+1945).

North Clare team, at Blue Meadow, Kilfenora

Ballyvaughan team 1925:

This team includes players who donned the county Clare football jersey during 1917, as well as playing for their club team, Ballyvaughan. A feature of this team was the dedicated loyalty which they evoked. Whenever this team was due to participate, their most loyal followers made ready, walking many miles through Clare highways and bye-ways to provide their support.

There was one particular supporter whose story continues to resonate within club annals and anecdotes. Although we do not know the name of that loyal follower, we know she was born in a North Clare workhouse during the final decades of the 1800’s. Whenever she entered the Blue Meadow sportsfield, outside the village of Kilfenora she was greeted with the refrain: ‘Sound Ballyvaughan, with the holes in her stockings!

Acknowledgements:
Arthur Irwin, La Rochelle, New York, USA (Image).

Mickey ODonoghue, Ballyvaughan, County Clare

Rosemary Sassoon – ‘Keeping Chronicles’:

Posted in Arts & Crafts, Culture, History, Ireland | Tagged , | Leave a comment

The Gate at 90!

The Gate Theatre, Dublin (1928)

Gearoid OLochlainn (1884-1970)The Gate was founded nine decades ago in the autumn of 1928. Gearóid ÓLochlainn, an accomplished playwright was a co-founder of this theatre, together with Hilton Edwards, Mícheál Mac Liammóir and Máire Ní Oisín.

One of the Gate’s first productions was Heinrik Ibsen’s – Peer Gynt. Gearóid ÓLochlainn performed three different roles during the sequence of Peer Gynt.

The Abbey and The Gate:

A single comment on the two best known Dublin theatres. The more famous of the two – The Abbey theatre, founded by W B Yeats and Lady Gregory in 1904 was viewed as presenting Ireland to the outside world, while The Gate was seen as presenting Ireland to the Irish themselves.

One of the many distinctive episodes associated with The Gate theatre developed, when a young Orson Welles became part of The Gate acting group for a short period, following his travels through the west of Ireland on a donkey and cart, in search of a more authentic pattern for his future life. The Gate group later travelled as far as Cairo, to present one of their productions to an assembled Egyptian audience. Thomas Pakenham (Lord Longford) became an important supporter of The Gate, when financial assistance was a necessary requirement, ‘to keep the show on the road’.

Note from 1938:

Ten years on from 1928, The Commission of Inquiry into Banking, Currency and Credit, 1938 was published by P J OLoghlen (Peadar/Peter), with further contributions by Bulmer Hobson and Berthon Waters. Copies of the Commission report are available through the National Library, Dublin

Acknowledgements:
John Daly, Irish Independent, Dublin

John Bowman, RTE, Donnybrook, Dublin

Posted in Arts & Crafts, History, Ireland | Leave a comment

‘Big John’ – Wisconsin

1

John O’Laughlin was born in 1856 in the Village of St. Peter, Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin, USA

John’s parents, Andrew O’Laughlin and Ellen O’Gorman, departed County Clare in 1846 and settled in St. Peter near Andrew’s four brothers in 1850. The family remained in Wisconsin until 1866, after which they moved to a farm near Evanston, Illinois.

Andrew was one of nine sons to Bridget Talty and Michael O’Loghlin, Glandine, Kilfarboy, West Clare, and the first son to leave Ireland in 1846. A number of their other sons would later immigrate to Wisconsin from 1846 to 1851. The journeys of three of these sons were recorded on the Clare Library website, to coincide with the Milwaukee Clan reunion of August 2014. Complete transcriptions of the travel journals of these brothers are held at the Wisconsin State Historical Society.

see Link to Clare Library: –http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/don_

tran/emigration/immigration_route_ologhlin.htm

Clare Genealogy: Emigration Records – Donated …

www.clarelibrary.ie

Donogh, Terence and Bryan Fergus O’Loghlin left Cullaun, in Rathborney Parish for Limerick, early in September 1849.They were sons of Michael O’Loghlin and Bridget Talty who also had a farm at Glendine South, Kilfarboy Parish where Griffith’s Valuation shows Laurence O’Loghlin as the owner. Three other sons of Bridget and Michael – Andrew, Peter and Charles – also emigrated to the USA.

Waukesha Lime & Stone Company, Wisconsin

3

After moving to Chicago in 1880 John married Mary Casey, and he went to work for a number of stone businesses. As the city grew, John earned a living through street and sewer construction, being the only one to whom a license was issued to blast rock in the streets of Chicago. By 1887 he owned his first company, the Artesian Stone & Lime Works, which he sold in 1894.

After spending some time abroad, John moved back to Chicago and eventually bought land north of the city in Racine County, Wisconsin. This land would be one of three quarries that would become Waukesha Lime & Stone Company.

2

Known locally as ‘Big John’ to many of the people he employed at Waukesha Lime & Stone, John remained president of the company until his death in 1913. The company was then entrusted to his son, John Joseph (1884-1925), who had joined him in the business during 1905. The company would remain in the O’Laughlin family until 1949.

 

Posted in Arts & Crafts, History, Ireland | Leave a comment

USA to the Burren!

A Warm Hello to Clan OLochlainn Members:

Rita is a US member of the ODaveron clan who has been immersed in both Davern and Burren research for  a number of decades, which has included many trips to her ancestral Burren landscape.

This article below, besides noting the close, medieval educational links with Clan OLochlainn, also evokes a term from those distant times when kinship was a pivotal feature for the functioning and well-being of clan affairs. We are delighted that Rita has connected with us, and she has helped to rekindle that sense of kinship and friendship.

— Edward

The O’Davoren clan members have been inspired by your progress in reuniting the OLochlainn clan group, across time and continents. You seem to have had a great deal of fun with your research and resulting connections. We ODaverons hope to follow suit, and are working on the DNA end of the research as well as our family trees.

We expect them to lead us back to shared ancestors, including those from the O’Davoren Law School which was located at Caher Mac Nachteen on the Burren during medieval times. The annual Burren Law School, held each year at the Burren College of Art (Newtown castle), commemorates this medieval ODaveron Law School.

CathailTighBhreac

Cathail Tigh Bhreac, image: Rita Davern. Recently excavated site, just north of Caher Mac Nachteen stone fort. It is believed to be the actual site of the medieval O’Davoren Law School. There are recessed areas in the walls, where the archeologists believe scrolls were kept.

The ODaverons had a gathering in 2015 at Caherconnell Stone Fort, Burren, County Clare, and another gathering was held last May in Ballyvaughan, County Clare to witness a preview of a documentary film about this Burren clan.

For more information, see http://www.burrengirl.com.

We thank you for your dedication and commitment to the preservation of Egerton 88 (ODaveron Legal Manuscript), as well as ongoing work towards digitizing that document, mainly located at the British Library, London.

What a generous and important contribution to Gaelic Legal history!

Best Wishes,
Rita Davern

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA

Posted in Arts & Crafts, History, Ireland | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Hurling and Camogie

Many Irish, both at home and abroad, view Ireland in July as a place of festivals and homecomings, be it Galway city horse-racing at Ballybritt, or climbing the ‘reek’ (mountain) at Croagh Patrick, County Mayo on the final Sunday in July.
Others enjoy the ancient, Gaelic game of hurling, as the business-end of the hurling season begins in July and is completed during August or early September.

On Saturday and Sunday last, while many pilgrims were engaging with the demands of scaling Croagh Patrick, two epic hurling encounters were enthralling their supporters at Croke Park, the Dublin based sports-stadium.

Limerick faced Cork, with Limerick moving onwards to the All Ireland final on Sunday 19th August. Clare and Galway have to meet for a second time on Sunday 5th August, at Thurles stadium, to decide who will meet Limerick for the 2018 hurling final championship.

While Croke Park, Dublin is the primary Irish sports stadium, Semple Stadium / Thurles is the spiritual-home of the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) since it was founded at Thurles by Burren native Michael Cusack, as well as seven others who attended that unique meeting in Hayes’s hotel on 1st November 1884. The founding of the GAA was part of an Irish cultural-revival from the 1880’s onwards which also inspired the forming of the new Irish State in 1922/23.

Image: Edward OLoghlen

The illustration at left shows Michael Cusack at Cusack Park, Ennis with hurley and ball (sliothar) at his feet. This limestone sculpture was hewn by Michael McTigue of Kilnamona, whose mother was a member of the OLochlainn clan.

Sports Members and All Ireland Champions:
Many Clan members have represented both club and county through the decades including:
Michael OLoghlin, Limerick Commercials (1887); Micho OLoghlen, County Clare (1917); Colm OLoghlen, County Clare (1968); Ann Marie Hynes/OLoghlen, County Clare (1974); Catherine OLoughlin/Burke, County Clare (1995); Gerard OLoughlin, County Clare (1995).

The equivalent to hurling, played by females is known as camogie. Anne Marie and Catherine in the list above were both members of successful All Ireland winning County Clare camogie teams.

Scotland enjoys a similar game to hurling known as Shinty. Throughout recent decades Ireland and Scotland have met for hurling and Shinty games.

*Additional Note: for those interested in the history of hurling, GAA/RTE have combined to produce a three part TV documentary entitled; The Game, which is being screened at present during August Monday nights, through the RTE One tv channel. This documentary provides insight from some sixty interviews from both former players and team managers. Unique, early video-clips add significantly to the quality of this combined production.

 

 

Posted in History, Ireland, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Ennistymon or Ennistimon?

Ennistymon or Ennistimon, Lahinch or Lehinch, ‘are  ye right there Michael?’

A recent report with this catchy title by Patrick Comerford, historian, theologian, educator, writer and priest in Ireland, will be of interest to Clan members who have been fortunate enough to travel around the west of Ireland.

Here is a short extract:

Ennistymon, a market town built on the borders of the Burren and on the banks of the River Cullenagh or River Inagh, combines scenic, natural beauty with old world charm and many traditional pubs.

The narrow street near the bridge over the Cullenagh River is the oldest part of the town. Behind the Main Street and a little below the seven-arch bridge, built in 1790, the river with its small rapids rushes over an extensive ridge of rocks, creating a beautiful cascade.

The official name of Ennistymon is Ennistimon, although the spelling Ennistymon is used most widely, and historically it was spelled Inishdymon.

The name is derived from Inis Díomáin, generally translated as ‘Diamain’s River Meadow’ or ‘Díomán’s Island.’ Some argue, however, that the name is derived from Inis Tí Méan, meaning the ‘island of the middle house’ or ‘river meadow of the middle house.’

The oldest part of town is the narrow street near the bridge. Ennistymon grew from just three cabins in 1775 to 120 houses in 1810. The Falls Hotel, formerly Ennistymon House, is a Georgian house built ca 1760 on the site of an earlier castle…

To read more of Patrick Comerford’s observations during travels in and around Clare, including fine photographs of significant sites, go to his 23 July 18 blog post here>>.

With thanks to Edward and Patrick.

Posted in Ireland | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Can you help, please?

Michael O’Loghlen in Australia and Rosemary Gilligan (USA) write:

If you have reliable information about any of the clan O’Loghlen (however spelt) before the year 1800, we’d like to hear from you.

We’re currently in the final stages of compiling a lengthy paper, trying to identify all the O’Loghlens (however spelt) of County Clare between the years 983 AD and 1799.

For example, if you have a will that predates about 1820, we’d be very interested. So far, the earliest will we have goes back to 1777. We’re interested not only in wills, of course, but in any O’L document before about 1820.

Please contact us using the form below. We’d be happy to talk matters ancient O’L.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment