Gragans was a clan castle until c 1655.
At that time a Colonel Torlogh OLoghlen was required to vacate his Gragans residence for George Martyn, who was previously required to vacate his lands near Galway city by order of the Cromwellian land-commissioners. The Martyn famiy remained at Gragans for almost a dozen generations, until Frank Martyn died in 1956.
During a recent tour of Gragans and its environs by two Australian OLoghlens Margaret and Mary Jane, the present owner of Gragans, Brian Hussey provided various insights into his recent renovations at Gragans which included, updating of its mini-woodland features.
The image above of Gragans covered with ivy contrasts with that of the restored castle.
A century before 1655 an ancestor of Colonel Torlogh, Owney/Uaithne was the then owner of Gragans. During the late 1500’s period, the Barony of Burren was generally known as the Barony of Gragans especially when English administrators became keenly interested in acquiring extra taxes from Gragans’ residents, following the decrees of Perrots Parliament which was held at Dublin in 1585.
Brian Hussey, Gragans Castle
Mary Jane Pierce, Victoria, Australia
Margaret Bayles, Queensland, Australia