More on Easter 1916

Image from graupius

Recalling history from a century ago, Edward writes from Ireland regarding Colm Ó Lochlainn (1892 – 26 June 1972).

A entry tells us Colm was ” … a printer, typographer, collector of Irish ballads and traditional Irish Uilleann piper. He was notably the author of Irish Street Ballads published in 1939 and More Irish Street Ballads in 1965.”

Edward writes:

This is well in advance of Easter 2016 [the centenary]. Desmond Ryan introduces a series of short accounts of personal recollections of the events of the Easter Rising 1916 – courtesy of RTE (1956).

The text is courtesy of RTE Archives, while the Link below is from the Bureau of Military History, Dublin which provides Colm O Lochlainn’s 1952 witnessed statement. This statement also provides a sample of Colm’s signature at the end.

In this first episode Colm Ó Lochlainn recalls how he and four others were sent to County Kerry to capture and destroy the wireless station at Cahersiveen on Good Friday 1916. The equipment seized was to be used in communications for a planned arms landing.

Colm Ó Lochlainn a captain on the special staff of Joseph Plunkett recalls his memories of the events of Good Friday 1916.

Under orders from the Irish Volunteer leadership in Dublin Colm Ó Lochlainn travelled to Killarney where he was to lead a group who were to remove communications equipment from the wireless station at Cahersiveen before setting fire to the building.

The five men who travelled from Dublin were Con Keating, Cathal Ó Muineacháin (Charlie Monaghan), Donal Sheehan, Denis Daly and Colm Ó Lochlainn. Two cars were waiting in Killarney to take them on to Cahersiveen. Ó Lochlainn and Daly were in the lead car with the other three following in the second vehicle.

On the road to Killorglin the two cars became separated from each other. The mission was aborted after the car with Colm Ó Lochlainn and Daly was stopped at a check point, where they learned that a platoon of soldiers had come to guard the wireless station and that police units were on patrol throughout the area.

Having talked their way through the police check point Ó Lochlainn and Daly had to head across the mountains back towards Killarney. They spent the night in the car before heading back to Dublin by train the following morning.

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 8.15.Colm Ó Lochlainn explains that it was some time later before he learned that the second car had driven off the pier at Ballykissane where Keating, Monaghan and Sheehan drowned. The driver of the second car, Thomas McInerney swam to safety.

Click to access BMH.WS0751.pdf

About BrendO

Musician in Canberra Australia
This entry was posted in History and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.